Dizziness and Vertigo
Phone: (03) 9799 3553
Fax: (03) 9799 8150
Dizziness and Vertigo is the sensation of moving and spinning of yourself or the environment when you are actually still this can occur after head or neck trauma and may include the following symptoms:
- Sensation of self or environment moving which is often aggravated by movement of head and/or neck
- Vomiting and sweating
- Lack of balance
- Often noticed at night when going to bed or upon waking.
- Can be as simple as foggy and vague sensation in the head that can pass quickly which often makes you feel like driving might be a bad idea.
What Causes Dizziness and Vertigo?
- One of the most common causes of dizziness is Cervicogenic Vertigo which is characterised by dizziness during head or neck movements. The dizziness usually occurs after neck pain and may be accompanied by a headache. Often the dizziness will decrease if the neck pain decreases.The symptoms of dizziness usually last minutes to hours.
- Another form of vertigo is called Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo (BPPV) which occurs when calcium crystals dislodge in your vestibular system (located in your inner ear which detects the rate of your horizontal, vertical and angular movement) which is usually a result of head trauma or injury including whiplash.
- A severe cold or virus
- Changes to your blood pressure
How Think Chiropractic Can Help?
- Chiropractic has been shown to be effective in treating Cervicogenic Vertigo and in many cases BPPV.
- Our chiropractor is highly trained to diagnose what type of vertigo or dizziness you have and if necessary a referral will be recommended.
If Left Untreated
- May result in more intense and frequent symptoms which last longer
- The intensity of dizziness and vertigo can begin to affect your lifestyle and hobbies including basic functions like driving or operating machinery.
Lifestyle and postural advice might be an important part to recovery and our chiropractor will inform you if this is the case. Call us now on (03) 9799 3553 or you can visit us today at 1 Delacombe Drive, Hampton Park, VIC 3976, Australia