Phone: (03) 9799 3553
Fax: (03) 9799 8150
Neck stiffness, may include feelings of soreness and difficulty moving and turning your head.
It is often not caused by the neck at all and is hard to pin point as it may be a result of the areas in the upper back and neck. Symptoms and pain include:
- Can worsen with repetitive postures such as sitting at your desk for long periods of time
- Can vary from dull irregular ache to a strong constant stiffness
- Often associated with tension headaches or occasionally migraines.
What Causes Neck Stiffness?
Neck stiffness can be caused due to awkward lifting with the outstretched arms but in most cases it usually occurs due to poor posture.
Vertebral misalignment is the main cause of neck stiffness; the misalignment can cause you to compensate for the imbalance by changing the posture in your neck eventually causing neck stiffness.
How Think Chiropractic Can Help?
- A quick temporary relief for neck stiffness is stretching or moving the neck.
- Rearranging your work station may help improve your posture and reduce neck stiffness.
- Massage can often help reduce and relieve symptoms of neck stiffness.
If Left Untreated
- If ignored the muscles in your neck may get tighter and cause painful spasms (torticollis). This is where you wake up and you can barely move your neck.
- At the very least the neck stiffness will become more frequent and last longer